Thursday, December 10, 2009

THE LEG

THE LEG
by Karl Shapiro


Among the iodoform, in twilight-sleep;
What have I lost? he first inquires,
Peers in the middle distance where a pain
Ghost of a nurse, hastily moves, and day,
Her blinding presence in his eyes
And how his ears. They are handling him
With rubber hands. He wants to get up.


One day beside some flowers nears his nose
He will be thinking, When will I look at it?
And pain, still in the middle distance, will reply,
At what? And he will know it's gone
O where! And begin to tremble and cry.
He will begin to cry as a child cries
Whose puppy is mangled under a screaming wheel.


Later as if deliberately, his fingers
Begin to explore the stump. He learns a shape
That is comfortable and tucked in like a sock,
This has a sense of humor, this can despise
The finest surgical limb, the dignity of limping,
The non-sense of wheel chairs. Now he smiles to the wall:
The amputation becomes an acquisition.


For the leg is wondering where he is (all is not lost)
And surely he has a duty to the leg;
He is its injury, the leg is his orphan,
He must cultivate the mind of the leg.
Pray for the part that is missing, pray for peace
In the image of man, pray, pray for its safty,
And after a little, it will die quietly.


The body, what is Father, but a sign
To love the force that grows us, to give back
What in Thy palm is senselessness and mud?
Knead, knead the substance of our understanding
Which must be beautiful in flesh to walk,
That if Thou take me angrily in hand
And hurl me to the shark, I shall not die!


This is the poem I reported in our Literature class. It's not that famous and it's really hard to obtain informations and background of these. So I posted this so I may help someone unconsciously. LOL.


Ref: Literature of the World by Lacia

1 comments:

filouie said...

Can you explain the whole poem for me? please coz I'll report it then in our class. thank you so much.